Maine Maritime Academy
Building & Grounds Maintenance WorkerCastine, ME 04421
$16 - $17
Entry Level (<2 years experience)
** POSITION OVERVIEW **
Employee performs simple, manual tasks necessary to maintain cleanliness, an orderly appearance, and sanitation of the Academy grounds, roads, walks, and buildings. Work is performed within well established procedures with written and verbal instructions. While this job classification encompasses a wide range of interrelated tasks requiring comparable levels of knowledge, skill, ability, etc., incumbents of individual positions are designated as either "building" or "grounds" maintenance workers in recognition of the primary focus of individual assignments. This position is considered “Essential” during emergency weather events and other major evolutions on campus.
- Regular attendance is required.
- Cleans buildings as directed in accordance with department standards.
- Sweeps walks and picks-up litter.
- Moves furniture and equipment within buildings and to/from trucks as required.
- Shovels and/or sweeps snow.
- Reports items in need of repair to a supervisor.
- Replaces light bulbs.
- Unlocks and secures buildings as necessary.
- May make beds and issue linen.
- Washes, dries and folds laundry as assigned.
- Mows grass, waters lawns, feeds and trims shrubs, tends to flower beds, and inspects assigned work areas to ensure proper standards are maintained.
- Operates a variety of building maintenance and/or lawn and grounds equipment, including floor scrubbers, carpet extractors, buffers, power mowers, snow plows and/or snow blowers.
- Performs minor mechanical work and adjustments of all building maintenance and/or lawn and grounds equipment.
- Cleans and operates building maintenance equipment as directed and in accordance with department standards and policy.
- Picks-up and properly disposes of Academy solid waste at designated disposal sites.
- May transport and deliver supplies and other light items throughout the Academy.
- May perform painting duties.
- May perform mail distribution duties as assigned.
This job description reflects the general duties of the job but is not a detailed description of all duties which may be inherent to the position. The Academy may assign reasonably related additional duties to individual employees consistent with policy and collective bargaining agreements.
- Ability to accomplish work priorities, meet changing expectations.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team is essential.
- Consistently demonstrate Maine Maritime Academy’s values.
- Communicate effectively – share information and engage in candid and open dialogue.
- Focus on customers – work to exceed expectations of internal and external customers.
- Ability to train on wide variety of cleaning and grounds equipment/vehicles required.
** MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS **
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) preferred;
- Valid Class C Driver’s License and a clean driving record;
- Custodial or related work experience preferred but not required;
- Able to work nights and weekends and in adverse weather conditions;
- Able to understand written and oral instructions.
*SPECIAL CONDITIONS *
- Criminal background check required.
- Tobacco-Free Campus
*PHYSICAL/ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS *
- Exerting up to 50 pounds of force infrequently, and/or up to 10-20 pounds of force to move or lift objects occasionally.
- Ascending or descending ladders, stairs, using feet and legs and/or hands and arms. Requires lifting, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, and pulling are required frequently
- Works with standard cleaning materials and chemicals
- Adverse weather conditions, shift work.
MMA provides a generous compensation package including
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid leave – Including vacation days, sick days and 13 paid holidays
- Retirement plan options with a match.
- Disability insurance
- Educational assistance and tuition reimbursement program
Starting pay is $16.28/hour.