Maine Maritime Academy
Financial Aid PlannerCastine, ME 04421
$20 - $21
Mid Level (2-10 years experience)
** POSITION OVERVIEW **
Under the direction of the Director of Financial Aid, the Financial Aid Planner works with applicants, students, and parents regarding financial aid and scholarships. This position works closely with Admissions to assist prospective students and their families as they navigate the Financial Aid process via in-person meetings, zoom and phone calls. This position will require a great deal of interaction with students and families and providing exceptional customer service is required. Tasks are normally accomplished within well-defined procedures and with frequent program monitoring required. Computer skills are essential. Verbal and written communication skills are required for both internal and external contacts. This is a full-time, benefits eligible, hourly staff bargaining unit position.
- Responsible for following all Academy policies and procedures.
- Facilitates the Financial Aid Planning process for all prospective students andfamilies.
- Works with Admissions to determine a schedule that supports on campus and virtual events related to Financial Aid Planning.
- Provides counseling to prospective students and is responsible for day-to-day communications.
- Requires excellent interpersonal skills, with special sensitivity to the needs andexpectations of our students and families.
- Delivers public presentations for financial aid, recruitment, and retention purposes in a virtual setting as well as one and off campus.
- Works with PowerFAIDS, Power Campus.
- Regular attendance is required. • Other duties as assigned.
This job description reflects the general duties of the job but is not a detailed description of all duties which may be inherent to the position. The Academy may assign reasonably related additional duties to individual employees consistent with policy and collective bargainingagreements.
- Ability and willingness to learn multiple software programs including, but not limited to PowerFAIDS and Power Campus Software.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communications skill.
- Ability to work professionally with a broad range of personalities.
- Professional, positive, and approachable attitude. Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to use discretion and tact in dealing with students, parents, families, staff, and colleagues.
- Ability to process sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.
- Meticulous attention to detail including excellent proofreading and highly accurate data entry.
- Excellent organizational skills, including ability to handle multiple tasks, meet deadlines, and prioritize assignments.
- Ability to demonstrate and encourage the values of collegiality, and respect among supervisors and peers.
- Ability to become familiar and knowledgeable about Academy infrastructure, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to work both independently and as a part of a team.
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent; Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Experience: At least four years progressively responsible customer service experience preferred.
- Intermediate-to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and databases.
- High level of typing proficiency and accuracy required.
- Prior experience working in higher education preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of office methods, procedures and practices.
- Thorough knowledge of English grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- Must have exceptional communication (written and verbal), interpersonal andorganizational skills.
- Experience with Slate, PowerFAIDS and Power Campus preferred, but may substitute other relevant financial aid or student information system (SIS) database experience.
- Willingness to travel for training and attend industry training workshops.
- Effective skills in research, planning, analytics, and problem solving.
- Working knowledge of federal, state, and college regulations that govern the administration of the financial aid programs, and ability to use tools in conjunction withdatabases.
- Working knowledge and effective use of computer applications such as Google, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and relational database reporting tools.
- Some accounting knowledge or skills and counseling skills required for sensitive treatment of confidential family information.
- Ability to deal effectively and tactfully with students, parents, faculty, staff and the public; proven ability to deal and maintain effective working relationships with a diverse population are required.
- Willingness and ability to work a flexible schedule.
- Any combination of acceptable education and experience, which has provided the necessary knowledge and skills to fulfill the requirements of this position, may beconsidered.
- This position requires a Criminal Background Check.
- Tobacco-free campus.
- May be required to work irregular hours and travel extensively to meet business needs
- In carrying material may exert up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force to move objects.
- Sitting/computer keyboard manipulation/computer screen.
- Must be able to visually inspect work and generate own work on computer.
- Close office setting
MMA provides a generous compensation package including
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid leave – Including vacation days, sick days and 13 paid holidays
- Retirement plan options with a match.
- Disability insurance
- Educational assistance and tuition reimbursement program
Starting pay is $20.90/hour.
Maine Maritime Academy (MMA) is a public college of engineering, management, science, and transportation, located in the quintessentially New England coastal village of Castine, Maine. The Academy is one of six state-supported maritime colleges in the United States.
MMA is a remarkable place to work and grow in a career, rich in opportunity, experiences and rewards. MMA offers a feeling of “family” that is unique. Our goal is to create and sustain a community where all are appreciated and respected for their individual and collective contributions.
For more information, the complete job description or to apply, visit http://jobs.mma.edu
Maine Maritime Academy is situated on a picturesque peninsula in the Penobscot Bay, a renowned sailing destination and home to more than 200 islands.
The Academy is only 40 miles from Bangor, Maine’s third largest city and home to Bangor International Airport. It is less than 50 miles from Acadia National Park, where opportunities for outdoor exploration and adventure abound.
Hiking, biking, canoeing, kayaking, swimming, sailing, skiing, snowmobiling – all right at your front door!